Commonly Used Terms
|[Back to Jobs]
|Description:||Melville House is looking for an experienced book publicist to run the publicity component of what is widely recognized as one of the most innovative and successful publicity/marketing departments in independent publishing. We're looking for someone with significant experience in publicizing books in particular, and who is well-versed in the fundamentals, has good contacts, a renegade sensibility that maybe doesn't fit in the corporate box, and who is excited by the changes sweeping the industry today.
Also, who can write like the wind.
Duties include performing all aspects of book publicity, such as: designing campaigns; writing press materials; securing coverage; managing pre-publication campaigns; arranging and managing author events and tours; blogging on the company's award-winning website, MobyLives; representing the company at events; and generally raising the profile of the company.
THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY LEVEL JOB. Salary will be commensurate with experience, and include full benefits.
|Requirements:||Candidates must have:
• Experience working as a book publicist at a book publishing company.
• Strong writing skills.
• Good local, national, and internet contacts.
• Strong data management skills.
• The ability to handle a wide variety of books --- fiction, nonfiction, poetry, cookbooks, and more --- simultaneously.
• Sang-froid when it comes to working under pressure, and an ability to hit deadlines.
• An ability to work with marketing, editorial, and production colleagues in a deeply collaborative environment.
• A sense of humor.
• A wicked keen interest in independent publishing.
• Deep familiarity with our blog and especially our books.
|Company:||MELVILLE HOUSE PUBLISHING|
|Location:||Brooklyn, New York|
|How To Apply For This Job:||Send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (press releases and blog posts ideal) to the publisher, Dennis Johnson, at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please detail not only your experience and suitability, but how your skills match up to our list specifically.|
|Date Posted:||6/14/2013 (Ongoing Job Posting)|